Thursday, March 14, 2013

House Updates

Well it's been a long time since I've posted because I've moved from little projects to a big one - our "new" house!   

It was built in 1971 when wood paneling was apparently awesome.  An entire room of wood?  Great idea!   Popcorn ceilings and dim lighting?  Perfect.

I actually love wood, but this room felt like a cave.  

First thing to go was the railing and beam dividing this room from the eating area.  (Kyle loves it when I call him with questions like "Where's the sledge hammer and the Sawzall?")


I couldn't stand having a gloomy Christmas so I at least primed most of the room.


Having a 3 year old and 1 1/12 year old helper made it really exciting.
But it actually made me feel happier every time I walked into the room.
Then there were the built-ins.
Wood, obviously.  

They're actually really pretty and I knew the details would show up better in white.  The room needed some color though.  I'm sure in 30 years I'll look back at the 2010s and wonder why in the world I wanted everything white and grey.
I tried a few different options on the back of the bookcases.  

I ended up mixing some Disney Wish Upon a Star Blue that was left at our last house with the Disney Bother Free Blue from Margaret's crib and adding some grey exterior house paint to tone it down.  And hoping I didn't run out.

This was a long project.  But...it was worth it.  Now, how to decorate a huge wall of shelves. I'll probably just fill it up with junk.

And if I ever need to remember what it's like to be surrounded by wood, there's still this room, that's entirely wood paneling with another wall of wood built ins.


No comments:

Post a Comment